Monday, March 9, 2009


My Mum can turn her hand to anything.  She has knitted, sewn, embroidered and been a busy and clever maker all her life.  Her Mum was the same and these busy and talented ladies have greatly shaped my nature and my interests.  I treasure things that they have made for me over the years and wanted to share Yo-Yo the clown with you.  My Mum made this for me almost forty years ago.  She recycled pieces of dresses and shirts to make the yo-yos and can still remember where most of the pieces of fabric came from.  I think of the time and energy she so lovingly poured into making this toy and I am in awe of her.  She is a wonderful, wise woman.

Making things has always been a part my family culture.  My Dad was a clever carpenter and he and my Mum restored many beautiful pieces of old furniture and gave me a great love of Vintage. When he was hospitalised with a back injury, he took up Macrame and whipped up some very 70s pot plant hangers.  He and Mum were great fans of Hobbytex at one time - does anyone else remember that period in craft???    

Our latest design is an homage to my Mum and Yo-Yo the clown!  I am really excited about these Heart Yo-Yos.  They come with co-ordinating bloomers and look positively scrumptious!  Let us know what you think of them. 

 The photo is gorgeous and was taken by our friend Taryn Newland from the Designers Emporium Markets.  Taryn has taken some great shots which we will be sharing with you over the next little bit.  To visit Taryn's visually soothing blog, click here.

I'm up late preparing for the Handmade Expo in Ipswich.  It has been a while since we've been at the showgrounds and we'd love to see you there on Saturday, 14 March.  Come along between 8am and 2pm to check out the goodies on offer at the March Madness Sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment