Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A Christmas Treasure


After a fortnight of barely catching breath, I thought I'd do a quick post and share one of our Christmas treasures. My Dad's brother John, trained as a carpenter many, many, years ago. I think it is probably more helpful to say he is a fine, arts, craftsman. He became quite skilled at chip carving and some of his work is in Parliament House. One Christmas he presented us with a beautiful Christmas string. Each one is an ornament in itself. I love looking at them and notice something different each time I walk past. It was the most surprising and delightful gift!

I couldn't quite show all the pieces and capture the hanging string so I have placed it flat on a table. The detail in each piece is extraordinary. I love the gentle, rustic, colouring of the timber.

5 comments:

  1. all the best for the new year buttons!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really beautiful Lisa... hope you and your family have a wonderful and healthy christmas and new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are certainly lovely and the detail is magnificient- thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas to you and your Button Family.

    Micky
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely Lisa, what a wonderful heirloom piece that is and what a talented brother you have...it must run in the family!
    Merry Christmas, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and New Year and get to relax a little...sometime if that is possible.
    Kiss Noises Linda

    ReplyDelete