Friday, October 7, 2011

The Gentle Art of Saying "No"


Since my last post, the littlest buttons have turned four. It's an interesting age, full of questions, challenges adventures and new learnings - for them and for their parents! Sometimes, setting boundaries can be exhausting can't it?

When I was studying teaching, I remember completing an activity on creative ways to say "No!". I'm sure most Early Childhood teachers have done something similar. This week, My Creative Space is all about saying 'no' in a really clever way! You might be able to use this list in your parenting, when your husband asks if you've been shopping, when someone asks you to whip up a project or two or when you're tossing up whether or not to begin a new project. All I ask is that you use this list for good and not nefarious purposes (such as hiding excessive fabric purchases!).

A DOZEN WAYS TO SAY 'NO'
  1. The LOOK - you know what I mean...we all have one. The one that says, "Go ahead and do that but be prepared for the consequences!"
  2. NAME and TONE - Say their name and use the TONE that matches the LOOK (in number 1)
  3. I'll think about that.
  4. Say yes but mean no - 'You can do X after you have finished Y'.
  5. Distraction - "X, can you come here and help me with this, please?"
  6. Say hello! Just remind them that you are there and watching.
  7. Is that safe.
  8. Will that make Mum/Dad happy or sad?
  9. What will happen if you do that?
  10. What do you think about that idea?
  11. Talk to me about what you are doing.
  12. Is that a good choice?
I'm sure you have lots of other strategies that work. These are just some of the tried and true ones from Button Central. For truly creative pursuits, visit here.

P.S. I can't say any of these are a fool proof way of hiding expensive fabric purchases from Mr Button but I have had some success with #5 when used in conjunction with Grand Final Football games!

1 comment:

  1. I am a big user of "the LOOK" and also the counting to 3. I have followed through a couple of times on the count that I rarely have to go past number 2 before the behaviour is changed but as my 4 year old continues onto 5 I can see this start to be challenged a bit. Always have to try and be one step ahead dont we - ha ha

    Amanda xoxox

    ReplyDelete